kauricat: (Default)
Tonight I watered the poor lawn. I think all my phlox and three of my hostas are just gone. It's sad. I did not realize that as the sun changed position over the seasons I would end up with quite a bit of sun against one half of the front of the house. Now I know. Next year I'll fill in the other (shady) side with more hostas (the ones there are sooo happy), and I'll find something that likes more burninating sun for the other end.

I think tonight I'm going to take the first steps toward sewing a top hat. Or two. I really need to get off my duff if we're going to have cool stuff for the con I want to attend.

The one thing holding me back was thinking "What if we finally get lucky and I end up pregnant?" Well, even if that happens at this point, I won't be huge and miserable at that point. Maybe miserable, but probably able to fit anything that I sew right now. Totally good to travel, okay to do lots of walking, etc.

So there is no reason to put it off.

My poor grass. It's looking so sad. Better than lots in this town, but still suffering. I soaked it tonight and will do so again tomorrow, maybe as soon as tomorrow morning now that Pres Man is out of school for the Summer (W00T!). We celebrated at Umi tonight and it was delicious.

I am so, so proud of him. He's awesome. He volunteered to go help people he did not even know, for hours and hours, to move their belongings. He did not have to do that; I was careful not to volunteer him. That's just the kind of guy he is.

And now he has found Netflix's Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies, which is the perfect way to end this evening.
kauricat: (house)
I'm using the house icon for this entry not because it's about my house, but because we helped some folks move from an apartment into a free-standing single family dwelling this weekend.

Even though they lost a bit of square footage, they gained walls they do not share, freedom from vermin that infested their previous neighbors' units and which always found their way into my friend's place, a yard (fenced!) for their two adorable doggies, hardwood floors rather than old carpet and torn linoleum, a lovely roofed back porch, a driveway (you cannot overrate a driveway in my town), and they have moved from an area I would be leery of into a neighborhood where we saw tons of folks walking their dogs and children and some who were even friendly enough to say hello.

I think it's doing to be a really good change for them and I'm happy we were able to help.

I feel a little guilty because we left before they were completely done. I could not hack it any longer. Between the issues I have been having with my kneezles (particularly the left one) and the fact that I am 38, not 28, I wore out around 8:45. We'd begun at 1:00 so I did put in some time, but we had a nice rest between loading the truck and unloading the truck, when they provided pizza and I got to lie on the floor recuperating a bit. I had to sit down several times during the loading and unloading though and I felt a lot more worn out than I expected, what with the recent adoption of cardio and weight lifting.

Still, everything I carried was something that someone else did not have to carry. And Pres Man went with me, even though I had been careful not to volunteer him when I agreed to help out. He did so much and I am so proud of having a husband who is SUCH A GOOD PERSON.

Today I am quite sore. My quads are painful, sometimes even when I am not moving, and my lower back is complaining that I should have done a bit more lifting with my legs. Overall I think I'm okay, just really stiff and sore.

I'll do an epsom salt soak tonight before bed and that will probably help a lot. Last night I slept with a heat pack on my lower back and woke up feeling a lot better. I also iced my knees and that helped a lot.

It sucks to get older. I don't feel as old as my chronometer says I am. But every now and then something happens to remind me that I have some miles on me and I just need to slow it down.

However, aged geezer or not, I did help and I'm happy about that. Moving sucks so badly and that's why I always volunteer to help. And this move was haunted by bad luck - they reserved a truck with one company, called the day before to ask if they could move up their pick-up time, and were told they did not have a reservation. They even had the print-out proving they did, but the company would not accept it. Then the other company did not have a truck for them, and the only reason they scored one at all was because Company 2 tried to pawn off a truck with no AC on a guy who was driving over 2000 miles. He refused the truck and my friends were able to get it. That stress cost them a lot of time and THEN they had to take the truck to the next town over to have it weighed, because they are military and the weight of the items moved is necessary. They could have done it in our town had they gotten the truck earlier, but our weighing station closed before they could get things straightened out with the truck companies, so they had to jump through another hoop so they could get reimbursed for their costs.

As far as taking care of us, I've gotta say that this was the best-fed I've ever been as part of a moving crew. They ordered nearly one pizza per person, and with such a variety that there was something for everyone. That was pretty awesome. Usually someone gets a large thin-crust and expects everyone to have half a piece, or something.

I'm planning to go to Knitting tonight and restart my shawl. That should be satisfying. And it'll mainly work muscles that don't hurt.
kauricat: (Default)
I miss this place like crazy, and catching up in the evening is not the same. I get home and my mind is dead and I cannot remember all the things I wanted to say. I'm pretty sure not journaling is going to be detrimental to my brain long-term.

I could also be braindead because Pres Man has taken to watching Piers Morgan (mainly to make fun of him, I think, because he's an awful person and a terrible interviewer), and that's what's on right now and it's draining my brain juice.

It finally rained here which was awesome. It was a lovely thunderstorm. Piewacket had to make a hard choice; hide downstairs from the thunder or tough it out upstairs so he could shun our workout. I'm pretty sure his offense at our workout won. Cats are so funny. He cannot stand it when we do something that does not, even peripherally, involve him.

I got the fabric that I ordered! It was here when I got home and it looks perfect. It's exactly what I had in mind for Pres Man's Hobbit vest. Hunter green with a leafy design. Bootiful.

This week is the Dog Days sale in my town, so I may go to the yarn store and see if there's anything I need. I do not need more stash, but a really good deal may be irresistible.

Our cicadas are singing here. I don't think it's a brood year, so these are probably Tibicen cicadas. They don't take years and years to mature.

Huh. While looking that up, I think I figured out what it was the scared a fellow knitter and myself on Dyeing Day. We thought it was a giant wasp that wanted to kill us, but it was probably a Western Cicada Killer, which are not very agressive toward humans and who reportedly have a mild sting despite their horrific size.

Kind of a relief.

We're not gaming this Saturday so maybe I will be able to start a sewing project. Or two. I'm looking forward to getting back to sewing; I have not done it for so long.

Pres Man came up with an idea for hobbit feet that may work really well. It would involve brown fun fur and flip flops, and it's way more doable than anything I came up with, as well as probably a lot easier and faster. He's so smart.

Tonight is a leg night and I'm afraid of it because it would normally be quads and that's what bothers my knees. But I printed out a knee strengthening workout and I will probably do that instead of squats/lunges/leg extensions with weights.

Maybe we'll do leg raises. I can do those.

I don't think I posted much about the baby shower I went to on Saturday. It was a Hogwarts themed party, which was awesome and the hostesses did a great job with decorations. They even had lots of little ornate frames with pictures of Hogwarts teachers in them! I was supposed to make my wine charms (like I did for my Harry Potter Party before) but between trying to finish the Nemo mittens and not getting a headcount (had to know how many for each house) until pretty late, I did not get them done. However, they are mostly done and I am hoping to finish those this weekend and get them delivered soon after.

I did have one done already, because I made too many Hufflepuffs last time I did this, so I gave away the best one to the Hufflepuff at the party. Come to think of it, she may be the person I had in mind when I made them originally!

We played one of the best games I've ever played at a shower. One hostess wrote a story, incorporating some passages from the Harry Potter books and involving the shower participants and the guests of honor. THEN she took out strategic words and we had to fill them in Mad Libs style. It was awesome when we all read them aloud in order.

Most people had on some kind of Harry Potter garb, and those who wore civvies had pins indicating that they were muggles, which I thought was cute. I took my paper and hot glue wands and they went over way better than I thought they might (better than last time I tried to show them off, for sure!). I think I gave all of them away so that made me feel good.

Miss Miah was the honoree and she looked really good. Some people really do shine when pregnant. I hope that will happen for me when I get there. More likely my hair will go limp and my skin will break out. LOL

It was fun to see her because I did not really get to be friendly with her until she moved away and I started interacting with her through mutual LJ friends.

Also, it was really fun to have an excuse to wear my HP costume again. And I took my official wand that Koganei got for me at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!

So yeah, that was fun.

I guess my brain woke up after all. Maybe because Piers Morgan is over.

Oh, and in case I forgot to mention it previously, today's scale reading was Down a total of 28.5 pounds. And I totally blanked on taking my measurements Saturday, because of the shower and THEN because I had another gathering to attend which was like a tupperware party but NOT because they sold toys that need batteries if you know what I mean. So that was an experience and a half. But I had the best cookies I've ever had in my life, and I'm going to receive that recipe on Monday. Awesome. And in case you were wondering, yes I did buy something. Turns out they sell flavored lip gloss, so I could support the hostess without buying something embarrassing.
kauricat: (Default)
Let's see. Last night I went to bed super early (after falling asleep on the futon) with a huge throbbing headache. It was awful, and the way I finally got rid of it was pressing on my neck to cut down the blood flow. I know, not brilliant, but desperate times call for crazy measures. I figured if I knocked myself out, I'd drop my hand away and be safe.

I wasn't pushing all that hard anyway. It may have been psychosomatic that it worked.

The reason I did it was I read an article about how the throbbing you feel when you've got an injury does not correlate with your heartbeat. I found that fascinating. My headache, once I had my fingers on my pulse, proved to be exactly in sync with my heartbeat. And since my fingers were in the neighborhood, I pressed harder and like MAGIC my headache went away.

Other things....I did not work out last night due to the headache. I'm going to do legs tonight. I'm going to work more on my hamstrings this week, I think. My knees have been feeling a little like they might overextend so I think my quads are too strong for my hamstrings.

This morning the scale gave me really good news, which makes me suspicious. How does one lose 3 pounds overnight? I would assume it was water weight, but unless I sweated or breathed out 3 pounds, that's not what it was. Huh.

Anyway, after having several days where the scale was up, it jumped down to a total of 28 pounds lost. Again.

It's still been amazingly hot here. We're over 100 every day with no rain in sight. I'm about to make the girls sing with me again.

I need to finish the Hogwart's Houses wine charms that I wanted to make for the baby shower. I'm so close to being done.

I think the first sewing project that I let myself do in the steampunk vein will be top hats. I had the urge to drag up the fabric and pattern tonight, so I guess I'm getting in the right mood for it.

I'm still bummed I had to frog my shawl. I'm really hoping it'll go better the second time around. And I'm going to get unwaxed floss, because the waxed stuff was way too sticky to use as a lifeline while knitting that lace.

My brain doesn't work as well in the evening for journaling. Maybe I will try getting up earlier and doing it then.
kauricat: (iKnit)
Well I can stop being cagey now about my new knitting project. It's another pair of Nemo mittens for a baby! I went to a shower on Saturday and I had wanted to get them done by then, but then one of the hostesses asked me to do some other stuff and instead of knowing my limits I tried to do both and did not get either done. But I had "real" presents from the baby registry and I even managed to put them in a gift bag with tissue paper which is a vast improvement over my normal "leave it in the sack from the store" method of wrapping.

The mittens are mainly done, and here's what I need to do to completely finish them:

Weave in the ends
Add eyes and mouths (embroidery with black yarn)
Knit the fins
Put in fleece lining, so little fingers don't get caught or hooked on interior floats

They're looking pretty cute and I think they'll ultimately be fine. And then I was reminded by someone that the recipient lives in a pretty warm place, so the mittens will not actually get any use. Oh well.

I should have finished them tonight at Knitting, but after working so hard on them (lunch times, standing in lines, in the car) and not making the deadline I kind of didn't want to work on them tonight.

In other knitting news, I frogged my shawl tonight. I bought some dental floss before going over, the cheapest they had, and thought it would be okay to add my lifeline when I knitted the next row.

Big mistake. I should have threaded the floss on a needle and put it through the row of stitches I was on, rather than the row I began knitting, because I totally screwed up that row. And then I messed up tinking back below that row, and THEN I had an accident where one needle slipped out of about ten stitches at once, and after that it was not salvageable. I'm sad, but optimistic that the second time knitting it will go better.

This time, the floss will go in differently and actually do the job it's supposed to.

I got my new sock blank and sock yarn tonight! I'm very excited about doing some more dyeing. I don't know when I will do it though. It's so hot outside I could probably just squirt on the dye, roll up the yarn in plastic wrap, and sit it in the sun.

I probably won't do that. I'll probably use the Goodwill Crockpot again. Though I may just work flat on the driveway rather than hauling out a table.

I left Knitting earlier than I normally do because there was a group sitting in the room we were in that was really annoying me. It was a group of people who seemed to know each other from their church, and they were going on and on about the state of Native Americans and how horrible it was that the men in those families were not stepping up to the plate and the kids were just following in their footsteps and blah blah blah. Their conversation was also peppered with things like "Nothing against the Catholic church, but...."

It drove me nuts. One of the guys had set himself up as an authority because he spent a weekend on a reservation or something, and he would say something and everyone else would be just shocked and do their tsk tsk tsking and the way they were talking about it I got the impression they weren't really wanting to help, they were just rubbernecking the way you do at a car wreck. It was titillating but they weren't going to really do anything about these horrible problems. I was really fed up with them by the time we left.

Maybe I will re-cast on for my shawl tonight. I really wanted to get that done before October.
kauricat: (weights)
I got some weights today! I am really happy with them. They are a set of dumbbells that came with enough weight for a total of 20 lbs. I am doing way less than that (in fact I am using the set of tiny plates we already had), but it's nice to have more weights that can work on my dumbbells, Pres Man's dumbbells, and our barbell.

My new dumbbells are the type with screw-on ends, which I really like.

The cardio tonight started out a little rough for me. I felt stiff when I got on the elliptical and my quads started complaining right away. I just kept going steady and worked it out, no cramping and no real pain. It got better and after the weights, I was able to finish strong on the recumbent.

I did bench press, hammer curls, wrist raises, and bench flies. I increased my weight on each exercise. It was a good workout. I'm tired, but I feel good.

It was satisfying to get back to working out after missing one night last week (we never made it up due to the dinner thing and getting ready for dyeing day).

I also did really well on my calories today, so I'm just very pleased all around.
kauricat: (Default)
I have been doing a crappy job getting ready to have people over who have never been to my house. I just cannot seem to get motivated to get things done. They are all really nice people so I'm sure they will be forgiving.

Here's what Pres Man and I have managed to get done:

Yard is mowed
Driveway is sprayed off (and OMG that was a job and a half due to all the tree debris, but it's so much better now)
Weeds have been whacked
Tablecloths have been purchased
Squirt bottles have been acquired (found two kinds at Walmart, got the condiment ones instead of the cake section ones because they were .03 cheaper per bottle and they are larger)
Dye has been located
Crockpot has been tested
Crockpot liner has been purchased
Soda has been purchased
Bottled water has been purchased
Husband's allergies have been activated
Spoons and measuring cups that will never again touch food have been acquired
Most of our old paint has been taken to the hazardous waste site (that was ALL Pres Man, and I am so thankful)
Yard has been watered

Still to do:

Pick up the kitchen, living room, and dining room
Clean the bathroom
Find my actual sock blank (have the dye, but the blank is MIA)
Drag the tables upstairs
Bring the empty downstairs tub upstairs
Dig out some old towels
Mulch the areas right by the house (purely cosmetic, and it may not get done. My body is overriding my vanity)

Tomorrow we'll take the tables out, tape the coverings on, run the extension cord outside with an outlet bar, set up the crock pot and double burner, hang the plastic on the fence and staple it up there, hang up a few hangers for yarn drying, put out the folding chairs, set out the gloves, a scale, a trash can, and paper towels, get some ice, set up the cooler with drinks, and mix up my dye. And then it'll be fun time!
kauricat: (weights)
Here's this week's progress. It's not that great, but I'm chalking it up to mismeasuring previously and possibly to hormonal fluctuations. Or maybe I'm gaining muscle that's bulking up while not losing enough of the fat that lays over that muscle.

Weight: -.5 lbs
Left Bicep: - .5 inches
Right Bicep: no change
Left Forearm: no change
Right Forearm: .25 inches
Neck: -1 inch (back to where I started)
Chest: 1.25 inches
Bust: 1.5 inches
Waist: 1.5 inches
Hips: no change
Left Thigh: 1 inch
Right Thigh: 1.75 inches
Left Calf: .5 inches
Right Calf: no change
kauricat: (weights)
Tonight was leg night and I did a little more weight on my squats. I'm beginning to think I may need to do exercises specifically to strengthen my knees, because those are my weak spot. Or maybe I'm just afraid those are my weak spot and I am babying them. They used to (the right one especially) give me trouble going up and down stairs. That does not happen anymore (Yay), but sometimes they'll still pop funny or feel really strained when I'm working out. I try really hard not to bend them out over my toes and keep them straight above my heels, but maybe I'm failing. I don't know.

Anyway, it was a decent workout. My quads were burning at the end of the last squat set, the leg extensions were not impossible but felt resistant enough, the calf raises were easier, and the bent leg hip extensions (donkey kicks) were fine.

We partially took apart the elliptical and made the squeak better, but we need to get back in there because it started coming back at the end of the night. Or maybe it just doesn't like Pres Man as much as it likes me. ;)

I took a nap tonight. I wish I would stop doing that, but I am just so danged tired when I get home.

Tomorrow (today, really) should be a pretty good day. I will have time to work on the house/yard and maybe I will get my own set of dumbbells.

Oh! And my new pajama jeans arrived! They fit, so that's awesome. Now if my new work pants will get here and also fit (they have shipped, so I'm hoping it'll be this week yet), I'll be super pleased.
kauricat: (Default)
Kneel before Zod the Delite-o-matic.

I, for one, welcome our new snack overlords.
kauricat: (weights)
We got back to it tonight. We did arms, since we did not work out last night. I bench pressed 2.5 lbs more tonight, I used a heavier dumbbell (up 1.7 lbs) for my bent over rows, and I did preacher curls and wrist extensions with a total increase of almost 1 lb for each exercise.

I worked harder on the cardio tonight in the hope that it will help me sleep better. I increased my speed on the elliptical about half a mile per hour and I could feel it, but it was good.

Sadly, when it was Pres Man's turn on the elliptical it was REALLY squeaking. It is now a priority to lubricate that danged thing before using it again.

I feel good about what we did tonight. Tomorrow we'll do legs and that'll be good too. I am glad to have worked out again. Glad I felt that I could do it tonight.

I stayed under my calories today, which is another triumph. For a day that started out pretty sucky, things ended up pretty good.
kauricat: (Default)
I love this melody. It's probably most widely known in the U.S. today as the soundtrack to "Somewhere In Time," but it's by Sergei Rachmnaninoff and he based it on something Niccolò Paganini wrote (and it's here if you want to listen to it).

kauricat: (weights)
Compared to last week:

Neck - up 1 inch (WTH??)

Bust - down 2 inches. Woe.

Underbust - down 1.25 inches

Left Upper Arm - same as last week

Right Upper Arm - up .25 inches

Left Forearm - down .5 inches

Right Forearm - down .25 inches

Waist - stayed steady

Hips - down 1.25 inches

Left Thigh - same as last week

Right Thigh - down 1 inch

Left Calf - down .25 inches

Right Calf - same as last week

And I was a pound lighter this morning than I was when I measured last week.
kauricat: (weights)
I did some yoga tonight! I found one on Netflix that I think I may be able to live with, at least for now. I had some trouble because my thighs are still large enough to keep me from being able to get into some positions. For instance, I cannot bend one leg underneath of me, cross the other leg over that leg to my other side, and have the second foot flat on the floor.

Maybe my legs are just too short. Yeah, that's it.

But I did it, and that was satisfying.

I updated my weight and goals in my calorie counting app and I can have 10 fewer calories a day. :P

Tomorrow night we start weights again! Arms, probably biceps. I'm trying to talk myself out of going after some new dumbbells tomorrow night before we work out. Kind of wish I'd bought the ones at the thrift store; they were just like mine but twice as heavy. But I resisted so that I could get the kind with adjustable weight. I don't need a jillion pairs of dumbbells floating around.

Time to soak in some epsom salts and go to bed.
kauricat: (weights)
For the past two days, my morning weigh-in has indicated a total loss of 27 pounds. I'm going to claim 26.

I'm so proud of us (Pres Man and I, not the Royal Us) for doing this. Like I said earlier, I am happier overall and I love feeling that little bit stronger and fitter.

But not so much stronger and fitter as to want to go out in extreme heat. We did not hit the zoo for a walk today because it was too friggin' hot.

I have decided that if I don't find a good stretching or yoga video on Netflix tonight, I will just hop on the elliptical. I doubt it would hurt me much to not have any cardio today, but I think I will do some anyhow. It feels kinda good.

So far today I am doing awesome with my calories. I listened to my body and only ate half my sandwich at lunch. Now I have some for later.

I'm still so jazzed about those jeans yesterday. I need to go jeans shopping for real sometime.
kauricat: (weights)
This morning (or maybe it was barely afternoon?) I retook my measurements. It's been nearly 10 days since the first measurements were taken.

Neck - stayed the same

Bust - stayed the same

Underbust - went down half an inch

Left Upper Arm - increased three-fourths of an inch

Right Upper Arm - increased two inches, so I assume my first measurement was flawed

Left Forearm - down 2 inches

Right Forearm - stayed the same (now the measurements for right and left are equal)

Waist - down one inch

Hips - down an inch and a quarter

Left Thigh - down half an inch

Right Thigh - down three-fourths of an inch

Left Calf - down a quarter of an inch

Right Calf - down half an inch

I'm very pleased. And today when I tried out the new Goodwill store in town, I found out that I can button and zip up jeans that are four numerical sizes smaller than the ones I currently wear. I did not like the way they fit; they were tight in the hips and then too loose in the legs and waist. A different brand might do better, but I'm guessing that I should go to the size that is only two sizes under the one I've been wearing. Which is really just one size, since women's clothing is in even sizes.

Which means I have lost a full size, easily. That's incredible.

Last night I did 17 minutes on the elliptical to try to burn off my calorie overload (and if my math is right, I did!), and I found that an extra 7 minutes makes a big difference, but I did it. I nearly doubled my cardio time, and I did fine. That felt really good.

Today we ran errands, which involved a LOT of walking around. I'm counting it as today's cardio. Tomorrow we will go to the zoo (hopefully in the morning before it gets insanely hot) and that'll be our exercise. And then I'll try again to find a good stretching or beginning yoga video on Netflix after Knitting. We perused Netflix last night and there are a couple of likely candidates.
kauricat: (Default)
This is awesome. Please watch it. These guys are great.

kauricat: (Default)
The lawn is mowed, the sprinkler is nearly finished running, and in about an hour I'm going to do some arm-focused working out.

I mowed the freaking lawn in 100 degree weather. I hydrated like crazy and I think it's all gone already. I downed another huge glass of water when I got back in and ate a bunch of ice.

I had a really good day today. My back was hurting (same place it started hurting last week) so I called the chiropractor and he got me right in. I'm feeling lots better and I will endeavor to NOT pull that rib out again. It's the same danged rib that always goes out when I get more active. It seems like it may be a family thing, since I can name three other people on my mom's side who have the exact same problem. We are mutants!

I got some exercise gear tonight. Several cheap tops and a pair of capris. They are great. I could not wear this sort of thing in front of anyone but Pres Man, but for working out at home they are perfect.

I also got some headbands; I pull my hair completely back when lifting and parts of it are short enough that they can't reach the ponytail, so I need a band to keep the rest of it back. They were on sale. Bonus!

I was very good for dinner. If I complete my normal workout tonight I will be way under my net calorie goal. I may reward myself with grapes and babybel cheese.

I'm beginning to feel my triceps more now. Oh yay! Tonight is an arm night. If you hear someone howling in pain later on don't worry; it's just me.
kauricat: (Default)


kauricat: (Default)


RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 26th, 2017 03:47 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios